NONPROFIT FRIENDS . . . IT'S ALL ABOUT THAT BASE . . .
Keep this thought in mind. As MT once sang to us . . . it's all about that base.
At Midwest Studies Group we get asked all the time about capital campaigns, how to increase annual funding, how to grow a board of directors, how to start a planned giving program, and more.
As we help our nonprofit friends walk through those issues . . . remember, remember, remember . . . it's all about that base. What do we mean by that?
What we mean is that the temptation by most groups is they want to move from 0-60 in 2 seconds. They want to increase the number of their donors by 100x, they want to build their new building NOW, they want to add board members without taking the time to strategize on who, etc.
So when people ask us how to improve, increase, and grow these items . . . we remind them that . . . (altogether now) . . . it's all about that base. In other words, take the time to identify your current base of supporters and go and GROW from there:
- If you want to start a capital campaign, what does your current base of annual donors look like?
- If you want to grow your annual giving or board, again, what does your current base of supporters or board members look like? What circles of relationships in the community are you missing? What CURRENT supporters do you know, who know those people?
- What about planned giving? You got it . . . what does your current base of donors look like?
It's all about examining your current base, strategizing, then growing from there. Why?
- It helps you to strategize.
- It helps you to create SMART goals
- It helps you to grow your organization organically, so things feel good and not rushed
If you need assistance figuring out how to grow SMART, perhaps we can help you with a new strategic plan or offer you an assortment of our strategy sessions connected to board growth and fundraising . . . or perhaps you already have a partner who can help you with those items. No matter who you use our advice to you is to make sure you always take stock in your current resources and relationships before moving forward . . . because, well . . . it's all about . . . (You get the point by now. Plus the song is probably stuck in your head. You can thank us later).
To learn more about strategic and fundraising plans, feasibility studies, planned giving studies, need assessment studies, and capital campaigns, visit us at www.midweststudiesgroups.com.